Hot Dogs and P-Nut Butter -->

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Brokeback Mountain - The Movie

I must admit after listening to all of the award shows and controversy surrounding this movie I decided not to go see it. First I would be too embarassed to purchase a ticket and second I wouldn't want anyone to think I was "abnormal".

OK, I went to see Brokeback Mountain. Although I didn't start out to see this movie nor did I even buy a ticket. I purchased a ticket to see The New World, about John Smith and Pocahontas. As I rounded the corner of the theater with fresh buttered popcorn and a tall freeze coke in my hand I noticed that right across from my movie was Brokeback and coincidently it started at the same time. I had to convince myself that I wasn't stealing but I thought, "I didn't have to embarrass myself by purchasing a ticket and I am curious as to why this has been nominated for an Academy Award, and I did buy a ticket. I mean after all this was a workweek and in the middle of the day and there probably would not be too many people in the theater so I quietly slithered into the movie. When I got inside I noticed the sparsely filled theater and there were only "women" in the theater and most of them were alone! I felt better. I sat through the long 15 minutes of previews and the movie finally starts. I sit back, eat my popcorn and settle into what I think is going to be an embarrassing time. The movie started slow with beautiful scenery setting the mood. It's about two men, one a rancher and the other rides the rodeo circuit. Every season they herd sheep up into the mountains. Well after a couple of months up there I guess they had to experiment. The scene allowed the viewer to be set up for a very passionate "male" type sex scene. Oh my gosh, after that scene I didn't think I was going to be able to watch the rest of this movie. Anyway, no one was walking out of the movie at this point and I didn't want to make a scene and get up, so I stayed put. I got very involved in this movie and came around to understanding the emotions that flowed between two originally heterosexual men. I won't go into anymore detail on the movie just in case you venture out to see it, but I found this a very moving and emotional movie. These two men eventually married women and had children. Their relationship though spaced out sometimes years at a time ranged over a 20 year period. This is not a date movie, but I liked it and more than likely it will get an Academy Award. I rate this movie a B+.

See you at the movies,

4 Comments:

Blogger mrsskeels said...

Well, I've been wondering what you've been up to! :) I won't go see the movie because I don't want to see "that scene". I assumed it would be a wonderfully written, poignient (sp?) movie, and it sounds like it was. It will win the Oscar, I'm sure. I hear it's the best piece of acting Heath Ledger has ever done. Part of me is drawn to see it for that, but I won't. You are funny, slithering into the theatre. I wish I could've seen that! I'd have even bought a ticket!

9:00 PM  
Blogger aunt kim said...

I have not seen this film either and really don't think I will. Not because of the subject matter but because it just isn't might genre of movies. I have heard so many mixed reactions about it and I am sure the acting is wonderful and the script is Oscar worthy. Will it win the Oscar? Probably, only because this year seems to be the year for contraversial movies. I for one loved Crash. That is funny though, slithering into the theater and all!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Simply Me said...

OK, perhaps slithering wasn't the proper verb. I snuck in, ok!!!LOL
I'm close to 60 years of age and it was fun, so there and I even parked in a 30 minute tow away zone. Brave or stupid?

Thanks for reading my blog
J

1:52 PM  
Blogger mrsskeels said...

BOTH!!!!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home